@TheAmericanPoet on Twitter started the challenge of reading 52 poetry collections this year. It's Jan. 31 and here's what I read this month:
1. Lighthead by Terrance Hayes
2. To Repel Ghosts by Kevin Young (which at 316 pages should be counted as 3 collections)
3. Brutal Imagination by Cornelius Eady
4. Triumph of Achilles by Louise Glück
5. 10 Mississippi by Steve Healey
plus 2 of my classmates' poetry manuscripts. But I'll just count the officially published stuff.
So there...I got 5 this month.
I started, but did not finish, Through the Stonecutter's Window and One Small Thing.
So did reading effect my writing?
I wrote one poem after Louise Glück.
I wrote one poem in a voice inspired by Terrance Hayes and Steve Healey.
And Kevin Young renewed my faith in using short lines and sparse language.
First up in February...Raptus by Joanna Klink.
Happy reading and writing, everyone!
Rewilding available for presale!
3 days ago