Monday, February 25, 2008

The Britney Spears of Poetry

After reading this article that Ron Silliman linked to on his blog I am convinced that Edna St. Vincent Millay (whom I love) was the Britney Spears of her time. Dudes (like 2 of her lovers that I believe she had an orgy with) are working on Edna's biography and they have been working on it for like 30 years. There was mention in the article that she's got some nude photos that could be released in 2010. What!

Yeah and they talk about how after she fell off from the poetry scene and got hooked on morphine how she just let herself go. That's so Britney, Edna! Or I guess Britney is pulling an Edna because Edna was scandalous way before Britney's time.

I feel terrible for even saying any of this about Edna because I mean it when I say I love her. I memorized a sonnet of hers, my favorite lines that I can remember: "Well I have lost you and I lost you fairly, in my own way and with my consent" and "Had I loved you less or played you slyly/I might have held you for a summer more/but at the cost of words I value highly/and no such summer like the one before".

Oh...and Edna was down with the extra-marital affairs too. They really just put her business out there. Doesn't make her poetry any less well-crafted nor does it lessen the impact of her lines. It's just some juicy drama for Edna to rest in peace to, I guess.

Scandalous!

No comments: